The Daily Colonist, September 17, 1914
Wed, 2014/09/17 - 10:32am « previous next »
#dailycolonist1914 - News out of Victoria, British Columbia, 100 years ago today:
- German lines, encroaching on Paris only a few days ago, have been pushed back beyond Rheims [Reims].
- 40,000 Canadians already or soon to be overseas.
- Germans not just "Huns" but "WORSE THAN HUNS"
- Small controversy over value black-out rules in London as a safeguard against aerial attack vs. public safety of having the street lights lit.
- Cowichan Fall Fair opens in Duncan
- Beautiful and painfully sad attempt to sell German-style American lager (Budweiser) to ale-drinking Canadians. [I'm thinking the old joke about "Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?" is at least 100 years old.]