News out of Victoria, British Columbia, 100 years ago today.
• Troops from India featured in photographs on the front page
• British navy fully equipped, no need for additional volunteers for naval service at this point.
• Estimated three million Belgians starving [including my maternal grandparents]
• Turkey, using a ship acquired from Germany, has attacked the Crimean port of Theodosia (a former Ottoman possession, lost to the Russian Empire in 1789), effectively entering the war against Russia on the side of Germany and Austria. At this point the Ottoman Empire is not at war with Britain.
• Three men arrested as spies in Halifax
• [meanwhile on the moon] French troops are fighting Germans in French equatorial Africa [now Chad]
• The Komagata Maru has finally returned to India, arriving in Calcutta, where an "unfortunate incident" occurred. [British authorities in India tried to arrest several of the men on the boat, resulting in a gun fight and the death of 19 passengers.]
• Man who walked stark-naked into the woods near the Oregon-California border in a 30-day scientific experiment in survival will be speaking at the Pantages
• Ads that caught my eye